Steps To Take After A Motor Vehicle Accident
Knowing what to do after a car accident is essential when it comes to protecting your right to compensation. Though the aftermath of a serious collision is always disorienting and overwhelming, taking the right steps to preserve evidence and document your injuries can make all the difference to the outcome you are able to achieve.
Since our beginnings in 1952, the New York car accident lawyers of Edelman, Krasin & Jaye, PLLC, have been guiding victims through the complex process of seeking compensation after a motor vehicle accident while providing the personal attention that clients deserve.
What You Need To Do After A Crash
It is important for all motorists to realize that the actions they take in the minutes, hours and weeks following an accident can have a tremendous impact on their ability to receive the financial compensation they are likely to need to heal.
- Contact law enforcement authorities. If you can, contact the local police immediately so that an accident report can be filed.
- Take care to prevent involved vehicles from being moved until the police instruct otherwise. Try to keep all cars in the positions they were in at the point of impact, unless they are creating a traffic hazard. If the vehicles must be moved, see if you can snap photos of the scene before doing so.
- Do your best to speak to any eyewitnesses on the scene. Gathering witness statements can be critical to establishing fault or negligence on the part of the other driver, and it is therefore important to document what others may have seen and secure names and contact information for future use.
- Collect all other drivers’ insurance information, including carrier name, policy number and the like.
- Never admit responsibility. No matter what happens, do not assume blame for the collision, especially if you are unsure as to what exactly happened. Statements of fault will certainly be used as leverage by insurers in any ensuing dispute.
- While your impressions of the events are fresh in your mind, jot down some notes about what occurred.
- Immediately notify your insurer of the accident. Given that New York is a no-fault state, your insurance carrier will bear the cost of any medical treatment you need following the collision.
- Heed all medical advice provided by your doctor. If you receive any prescription medications, be sure to take them as directed. If physical therapy is ordered, follow through with it completely. Keep notes and records of the treatments you receive.
- Keep detailed notes of all days of work missed and wages lost due to medical appointments, incapacity or other effects of your injuries.
- Do not negotiate with an insurance adjuster until you have consulted with an experienced injury attorney who has successfully handled many auto accident cases.
To stand the best chance of securing the financial recovery you deserve, you need the assistance of a seasoned New York car accident lawyer. We possess the knowledge, strategies and skill to negotiate with insurance carriers. When such discussions do not yield sufficient compensation, we can argue your case before a jury.
How We Can Help
The personal injury lawyers at Edelman, Krasin & Jaye, PLLC, offer a no-charge initial consultation to discuss the merits of your case and explain your legal options in detail. Call us at 800-469-7429 or send us an email to begin your process of healing.